Whether you are a drag performer, female impersonator, male entertainer, drag king, stage diva, erotic dancer, model, actress or just plain love sparkly things, we share one thing in common – our love of the fabulous world of rhinestones. I began designing jewelry in arts school, but did not get to truly pursue it until my late 20′s. With the help & guidance of many wonderful creative minds and incredible jeweler friends like Lucinda Holiday, Tim Szlyk and Bill Bones, I’ve learned a thin or two about what it takes to create not only beautiful but durable wearable art. Through the study of many styles and the occasional piece of great advice, I began my own line. My first line was “Starr Jewels” and after a year or so of working out the kinks and a lot of growing experience, I now present you, my sparkle obsessed friends, with my own signature label, FIERCE! Jewels & FIERCE! Drag Jewels!
Drag has taught me many lessons in life, and when it comes to jewels the biggest lessons are QUALITY & DURABILITY!!! Let’s face it, as performers we can be rough on our costumes and jewels, and as a jeweler I compensate that with using the highest quality and strongest materials I can find. I’m constantly looking for new materials, ideas and suppliers, to help keep the cost of each piece at its best value. All entertainers watch their budgets!!
- I use PRONG settings which help secure jewels into their settings better. I do not adhesive stones into non-prong cups. (This leads to stone loss and you cannot wash/clean your jewels safely.) When a stone requires to be glued into a bezel, I use only top quality bonding agents.
- I use the highest quality NON LEAD or NICKLE bonding agents and welding supplies. As other forms of solder are toxic and can over time lead to poisoning if exposed directly to skin.
- I electroplate! – Ask any jeweler worth their crystal, and they will tell you electro plating is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for a fine finish and the strength of the final piece. Most pieces are plated in Sterling Silver.
- Some of my clients have metal allergies and as such I also offer non-metal and lacquer finishes. Metal & lacquer finishes come in many tones: Gold, Silver, Gunmetal, Pitch Black, Bronze, Bronze Black, Rhodium and Copper. If you wish your piece can also be electroplated in fine materials of 24k & 14k gold at additional cost by weight.
- All of my pieces outside my “Limited Edition; Ready To Wear Gallery” are custom made, and although I may recreate a piece, I will always change it up a little, so that you can safely say – your piece is unique as you are.
Finally, YES I DO CROWNS, from scratch OR embellished pre-made crowns. Each crown has a different price rage, and I will work within your budget. Embellishments to pre-made crowns start $50 plus shipping. Custom Crown work begins at $250.
Thank you for taking the time to view my designs! If you are interested in a custom piece or pieces, please fill out my order form and click send! I will be in contact with you within 48 hours generally. And finally, ALL SALES ARE FINAL
John W. Griffin / Nova Starr – Designer